Thursday 15 October 2009

New Job

Sorry that it's been awhile since my last post, but I've been trying to find something exciting and new that is going on with Jason and I, and at last something has happened! This past Monday was my first day of my new job! I was fortunate enough to get a job through a friend of mine who works downtown in Newcastle. I work at Bhs (British Home Store) in downtown Newcastle working on the ground floor in the women's retail department. My first few days have been pretty uneventful, but interesting none the less.

It's a nice change from working in the hospital, and right now I'm working only 4 hours at a time (20 hours/week), so my days pretty much fly compared to my usual 12 hour shifts. I was hired on for temporary Christmas help, so only part time, but least I will be getting a paycheck, which makes both Jason and I happy. :) One thing that is different, is that I only get paid once a month! Last Friday of every month, so there's one difference that I'm not too crazy about, but I'll be excited for the check.

Hopefully I'll have some more interesting things to add shortly about my new job, but right now I've been training and yesterday I actually worked the cash register, or what they call the till! It's pretty easy, but using a different currency than what I'm used to, still can throw me through a loop! And I did have to consciously think pounds instead of dollars when I returned the money to the customer! Another thing about my new job, is that I still stick out as soon as I open my mouth. But so far it's only benefited me, which is a pleasant surprise. If you ever want to feel important, come over and live in England, and everyone will think you sound so interesting just because you're an American and they like your accent! It's kinda nice. :) Most people realize that I'm American, or possibly think I'm Canadian, but I have to say there have now been a handful of people who think I'm Irish! Not sure if I believe that one, but I think that they just look down at my name and go by that. Who knows!haha

And on a totally different and random note...I saw my second British boxer yesterday! :) Can't tell you how excited I was to see it, and of course my doggie voice came out (I know most people have heard it!haha) And I'm guessing the dog's name was Winston, or something British sounding!haha Or maybe it was Tony Blair :) That's what I'd name my dog if I got a boxer over here! Oh I guess I can dream right!? And the second random thing...I told you all in one of my first posts that the television over here is not so good. Well I'm not sure if the show is still going on in the States (I've never watched it before here) but in the afternoons Veronica Mars comes on t.v. And it must have been one of the first seasons, but guess who was on the show!? Paris Hilton! Both Jason and I were like really is that Paris Hilton! Well it was, and comment if you already knew that she used to be on this show, but it totally through Jason and I through a loop!haha Good times in England.

2 comments:

  1. Shannon,
    Congratulations on your new job! I am so amazed how well you have adjusted to life there. What a "stellar" performance. I would be so confused to have to work at the "till" and have to use pounds. We won't even discuss me trying to DRIVE... Tell Jason "hi'. I miss and love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe Sammie misses you..........we do too.......sounds like an adventure though.......

    ReplyDelete