Saturday 21 November 2009

Dear Yankee Doodles,

Hello again, I know I know you’re already hearing from me again so soon. Well like I said before I’m going to try my best to keep up a better blog so you know what Jason and I are up to. Well this week has just been work, work, and work. But one thing I would like to know is how I can be working six days this week and still not get 40 hours! I know seriously!!

But anyways I was thinking the other day at work how over here they speak the same language as us in America, but I can’t tell you how many differences I’ve run into just at work alone where I have no idea what they are talking about! So I decided I would give you a list of what we say and what they would call it over here. Also even just some of their comments they make about things are different. Like when we would say someone is nice, they’d say “oh they’re so lovely.” Or if they comment about something like chocolate, we would say, oh that tastes good, and they’d say “it’s gorgeous.”

I’ve also noticed that older women love to call me “Pet.” I would say that’s the equivalent to dear. They are always like “oh thanks pet.”haha I loved it the first time I heard it, and thought that she was specifically saying it to, but nope everyone says it! Haha guess I’m not that important! But so here’s just a few things that I can remember that are different.

English British
Sweater Jumper
Tech vest Body warmer
Bathing suit Swimming costume
Turtle neck Just laughed at me (don’t remember what they call that!)
Cash register Till
Line(what people stand in) Queue ( So many of my co-workers love it when I say next in line!haha)


And another last thing I’ve thought of is how they say Americans have a lot more costumer service than they do, so when I wait on people at the till, many costumers always have a big smile on their faces and get a kick out of it when I say have a nice day! Can you believe that? I’m like everyone back in the States says that, and that’s what they say back to me. No one over here says it, and I guess it’s totally an American thing, but personally I just think that’s being nice. Well hope you enjoyed this British lesson. Talk to you all soon.

Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment