Sunday 29 November 2009

Thanksgiving Across the Pond

Dear Yankee Doodles,

This post is dedicated to my first British Thanksgiving. Well Carolina and I decided to host a Thanksgiving dinner for all our American friends over here, but of course there are some wanna be Americans that are joining us as well just for the turkey and pecan pie I’m sure! 

So Carolina and I began prepping for our big day on Wednesday. We went shopping and ran into a few bumps when looking for things on our grocery list. Couldn’t find hash browns, potato wedges, cool whip, cheez whiz (Sorry Tejchmas, no cheesy rice and broccoli casserole for us this year!), and the big one for me was pie crusts, or a pie dish! Apparently they don’t sell either, in fact no one had even heard of them when we asked! So we went the bakery to actually see if she could make us one, and she pointed us in the direction of pastry crusts, and since there are no pie crusts, there are definitely no pie pans, so I used a quiche pan to make it! And don’t even ask about the pumpkin pie because they definitely don’t have that!

So after our shopping episode Carolina and I went back to start prepping. I have to give big thanks to Carolina because she was pretty much the cook of most of the food since I had to work the day before and the day of Thanksgiving. So thanks Carolina!! You did a fabulous job! Overall we had a success with our meal. It included several casseroles, turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, deviled eggs, ham roll-ups, and desserts! Everyone said they enjoyed the food and personally it felt like Thanksgiving to us. We even had some British friends over, including my friend Kelly, who is now a personal fan of sweet potato casserole! She’d fit in well then with my friends down South! 

Our Thanksgiving also included football! Carolina and her husband Ryan have a Sling box, which is this thing you attach to a TV back in the States, and then using your computer you can pick up American shows back home. So of course all the boys crowded around the laptop for the Lions game. We also had fun playing some beer pong that night, and of course since you know we were playing that, leg kicks did follow soon after! 

Well I hope that everyone else had a great Thanksgiving. Let me know if you had anything exciting/funny happen on yours. Miss you all!

Shannon

P.S. Pictures and Video to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment