Saturday 5 December 2009

Threading

Dear Yankee Doodles,

Has anyone ever heard of threading? Well I hadn’t before I moved across the pond, but I did just have it done to me last week… But before you read on, I’m just giving you a head’s up that this post will most likely only be appreciated by the girls. Jason didn’t want me to talk about this to the world, but this is the reality, and I personally want to share my experience, so here it is…

Ever since I was a young girl I’ve had to get lip waxes. It’s something unfortunately I’ve had to deal with for awhile, but I guess that’s the price I have to pay for my Middle Eastern background! So last week Kelly brought me to Fenwicks (a department store in downtown Newcastle) and I sat down to get threaded. The procedure took about 10 minutes and have to say was more painful than a regular wax I’ve gotten at home, but the experience was amazing! I think the result is better than a wax and worth the extra pain.

The woman that did it was very nice, professional, and knew exactly what she was doing. She was originally from Pakistan and told me that threading had been used in her country for years. It had made it over to London about 10 years ago, and was now in Newcastle. However, like I said earlier, I’d never heard of it, but maybe some of you have?

So she pretty much takes this long string and threads it through her mouth making like a knot in the string, pulls the string across your skin, and it catches the hair and pulls it out. The process feels like someone ripping your hair out with pluckers, which yes I know is pretty much what she’s doing, but it was worth it. It doesn’t burn your skin or make it as red as waxing it. Plus unlike the States where it’s mostly Asians with fair skin color and no hair what so ever on their body, she could relate to me, and I felt so much more comfortable. I also think that is why the result was so much better. But so I know it sounds weird and hard to picture it, but if you ever see it advertised, it’s worth it and do it, haha. Well I hope at least some of you enjoyed this post, but I did warn you about it! :)

1 comment:

  1. Shannon, I love getting my eyebrows threaded! Next time you are in Dallas try out Hennas Boutique in Richardson off 75. They do a great job and are very cheap!!

    ReplyDelete