Tuesday 15 September 2009

The Metero

Since Jason and I have been here we have both discovered several things that are unique to here, or maybe just different from back home. I just started using the Metero system last week after I worked out and once finding the correct station I went to see which stop I needed to go to, which platform do I go to, and how do I pay/how much will it cost. Well over here they do the "Honor Systyem," which I think is kinda crazy because can you imagine doing that in the U.S.!!?? Maybe I think Americans might not be as honest, but I just don't think it would ever work. The subway systems would be bankrupt in a week :) Ok so pretty much this is how it works. You walk up to the ticket machine and punch in where you are going and then it tells you how much it costs. You can buy one way, returns, or transfers if you need to switch lines. (So first opportunity to cheat the system....punch in you're going somewhere closer than you really are and it costs less. ) Then you just walk up to the platform and wait for your train. And notice that I didn't say walk through one of those revolving gates that counts the people you know that you see at amusement parks, or at American subway stations. It's just crazy to me. I stood on the platform with my ticket in hand waiting for someone to come by and take part of it, or punch it showing that I paid, but it they never came. So I got on the train and still no one came by. By then I figured out that no one was going to be checking if I bought a ticket, and I figured I was probably the only one on the train that did!haha oh well...Though later Jason and I were talking to some of his teammates and they did say there are random checks by the subway workers to check and see if you have your ticket. If you don't you get a £20 fine and your picture goes on this wall that shows you didn't pay! Would be very embarrassing so may not push my luck too much. But the thing about these checks is you'd think they would be kind of under cover or try to blend in and sneak up on people, but no...they're in bright orange jackets and travel in packs! You can see them a mile away. But anyways the system must work if it's still running, but I just thought that was interesting and thought you'd like to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment